Breast cancer forms in female mamma gland cells. The condition is one of the top recognized cancerous ailments prevalent in females. However, it can occur to both masculine and feminine through the percentage of infection is much higher in the latter.
Health associations in different countries have organized condensed awareness programs about the disease. Incessant research has also been conducted to ease the diagnosis and treatment processes. All these have cumulatively worked in enhancing survival rates while the death rate has also declined to a significant extent.
Breast cancer types include the following:
Ductal Carcinoma in situ
It is a non-invasive type where abnormal cells are found in the breast milk duct lining. It is an absolute primary type and exists at a very early stage. Treatment should not be delayed for such diseases as that can turn them into a metastatic type.
Invasive ductal carcinoma
It is an invasive and metastatic type condition where abnormal cells start growing within milk ducts but spread fast to another part of the mamma gland tissue. It is the most commonest of all breast cancer accounting for nearly 80% of the cases diagnosed.
Inflammatory breast cancer
Carcinoma cells in this disease infiltrate through the skin and lymph vessels of the organ. These are aggressive and fast-growing types. Curiously, it does not produce any isolated lump. You will get the symptoms when the infected cells block your blood vessels.
Metastatic breast cancer
These are stage 4 breast cancer that spread to various other body parts. In such cases,
- Cancer cells invade healthy cells in the adjacent areas.
- These penetrate our circulatory or lymph pattern.
- Often, the infected cells are transported by the lymph system.
- Infected cells may create new small tumors at the new location.
The potential factors for mamma gland cancer are both controllable as well as beyond control types.
Among the factors that we can control, include:
- Being overweight is highly associated with the disease, particularly after menopause. The presence of excess fat tissues increases the estrogen level that enhances condition potential.
- Diet with low-fat content will reduce the risk of having the disease.
- Doing exercise regularly helps keep your body toned. It balances the fat content in your body too.
- Smoking enhances the risk, though in a meager amount.
- If you are habituated with alcohol consumption, try to keep its rate under control. Alcohol is a confident career of mamma carcinoma.
- Having oral contraceptives without any medical prescription.
- Stress and anxiety.
Factors you can’t control include
- Your gender; women are more prone to this disease than their male counterparts.
- Older age people are at more risk.
- You will be a natural victim of the disease if anyone among your closed keens had the disease earlier.
- If you have survived the disease at an earlier date.
- Cellular alteration in the organ.
As you are suspected of carrying the sickness, your doctor would stress on confirming. H/she will start the process by checking both of your milk organs and lymph nodes in your armpit. H/she would look for lumps or abnormalities there. The tests h/she would recommend include:
It involves a breast X-ray that helps in screening the infection. Upon tracing an aberration through a screening process, your doctor may move to a diagnostic mammogram.
Sound waves help create images of deep-body structures if any. USG diagnosis also helps your doctor to determine whether the case under consideration is a solid mass or a cyst filled with fluid.
Your pathologist will extract tissue core from the area under suspicion. Then it is put under special imaging tests for disease finding. Experts identify this as the surest diagnostic method to identify breast cancer.
The process uses a magnet and radio waves; these two work jointly to form a picture of the breast interiors. You may be given a dye injection for perfect tracing of the conditions.
Symptoms of this disease vary to the widest extent. These may vary from lumps to swelling and someone may have experience skin changes too. It is also possible that your condition does not carry any prevalent sign at all.
There are cases where organ examination can’t produce any result due to the excessive smallness of your condition. A mammogram works in identifying these conditions.
Again, your condition may consist of a new mass that can be felt. Diagnostic tests will be needed to confirm that you have got the disease.
Prevalent signs for the disease may include:
- Swelling in different parts of the organ or as a whole
- Dimpling/skin irritation.
- Pain in your breast.
- You may get trauma in its nipple.
- Inverted nipple.
- Mamma gland skin or nipple may be subject to unexpected thickness.
- Redness and scaling of the skin around the organ.
- Nipple discharges that are not breast milk.
- Lump in your underarm areas.
These signs are common for both benign and malignant diseases.
Causes of Breast Cancer
The disease comes to forth if the organ cells undergo uncontrolled mutation. This may lead to the generation of mass in the milk-producing ducts.
Researchers could trace various hormonal, lifestyle, and environmental factors that could be held responsible for the disease. Yet, studies are in complete disarray in finding any reason to the fact why some people carrying risk factors are not infected, while cancer spreads in those people who are free of any such risk element.
Studies revealed that gene mutations are responsible for around 10% of diagnosed and treated breast cancer cases.
They have traced two dominant genes named BRCA1 and BRCA2 that can enhance the infection risks.
Doctors recommend blood tests for people with having a strong family mammal gland cancer history. Such tests cooperate in identifying specific mutations in the BRCAs or other genes passed through generation.
Breast Cancer Treatment
The treating medical team would fix your treatment type based on your disease type, stage, and grade. Cancer size and whether the infected cells are sensitive to hormones are also determinant factors in such treatment.
Breast Cancer Surgery
Depending on the case severity, your surgeon may decide to perform any one of the under-mentioned processes:
- Lumpectomy where h/she removes the tumor and smallest margin of healthy tissues around. It is also referred to as the breast-conserving process as no surgery happens to the organ. It is selected to remove small-sized conditions,
- Mastectomy removes the entire organ if the disease has covered a significant portion of the organ. The procedure entails removing the lobules, ducts, fatty tissues, and minor skin portions. Nipple and areola are also gone off.
- Improved technologies have, however, come out with processes where nipple and skin can be spared.
- Removal of both breasts offers rather complicated as both the glands have high infection potential.
The procedure uses drugs to eliminate fast-growing carcinoma cells. This treatment procedure is particularly applicable if the disease has a higher chance of turning back.
Doctors used the method more than often to shrink the tumor size before an operative process begins. It may help control symptoms too.
I like the treatment pattern. It attacks precise abnormalities in your cancer cells. For instance, if your doctor feels that targeting HER2 protein would help you heal from the stigma, he/she focus on its destruction. Application of targeted drug on that element would destruct the reason and help the disease eliminated.
It aims to provide relief from pain and other predominant symptoms. Your family members will also form associations while the treatment will be under process. They are included for their awareness of your treatment suitability. The extra supportive layer would act as complements for the ongoing care process. It makes you feel better and longing for survival.